Need feedback/review, a big change in AbiWord2 port.

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Jun 8 18:46:30 GMT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:53:18 -0400, Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

>>> (06.08.2004 @ 0209 PST): Jeremy Messenger said, in 2.3K: <<
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have maken a big changes in AbiWord2 port, what I have done:
>>
>> 	- Force AbiWord to check/compile everything what apps that are
>> 	  installed (headers, libraries, etc) from ports rather than check
>> 	  and
>> 	  use the stuff that are included in tarball such as wv, zlib,
>> 	  libpng,
>> 	  popt and etc.
>
> How much compile time does this save? Just curious.

I don't know, never pay attention after over 20 times built AbiWord.
Depends on and use the ports tree is the right solution, IMO. :-)

>> 	- Change the default spell from Enchant to Aspell, because it doesn't
>> 	  work at all unless you compile Enchant with the Aspell support. I
>> 	  think, it's waste to depend on Enchant by default.
>>
>> 	  Also, I have removed the check of Enchant. I prefer to see force
>> 	  user to want use Enchant if they know what to do with it. I need
>> 	  the
>> 	  help on write the better comment in @${ECHO_CMD} about this.
>
> I disagree strongly with this. I think that Enchant is a great idea.
> Enchant isn't being utilized properly ATM, but it has the propensity to
> be a great leap forward in i18n spell-checking.

What's your best suggest then? Force Enchant to compile with Aspell
support? This is the way that I will allow Enchant to be default. It
doesn't make any sense to have something that will not work by default. I
think, it's important to have the default that is just work.

>> 	- Add the new WITH_HTML_HELP_BROWSER knob to allow us install the
>> 	Help
>> 	  docs. This cover the ports/66623, but I personal still would like
>> 	  see use the DOCSDIR path.
>>
>> 	  The vote is still open for if you dislike put Help docs in Makefile
>> 	  and rather to create a seperate port, just give a shout.
>>
>> 	  Vote:
>> 	  ===================================
>> 	  mezz   = Makefile
>> 	  marcus = seperate port, unless Makefile doesn't turn into mess.
>> 	  ===================================
>
> How much space does the installed documentation take up?

I think, we shouldn't pay attention to the space as long we have the knob
option to disable the Help docs install. It won't make any difference for
Makefile w/ knob option vs seperate port. However, the size is about 877
KB (of tacos ;-).

> # Adam
>

> --
> Adam Weinberger