Installing global extensions

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue Jul 27 12:38:20 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 11:18, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Do you know why the command-line option "-install-global-extension" in
> Thunderbird doesn't do anything on FreeBSD? I'm trying to fix the
> enigmail-thunderbird port, but currently the only working way seems to
> be installing the xpi file and letting every user install it into his
> own profile :(

It's a stupid, stupid bug.  To make this work, do the following:

thunderbird -install-global-extension /full/path/to/enigmail.xpi /tmp

That trailing ``/tmp'' is critical (technically it could be any
fully-qualified path).  Another way this could work is to put the XPI
file in /usr/X11R6/lib/thunderbird/lib/thunderbird-0.7.2.  I'm testing a
fix for this now.  I don't know how this ever worked on any UNIX system.