gnome-cups-manager-0.19 :: core dump and undefined symbol

Franz Klammer klammer at webonaut.com
Tue Jul 27 03:05:28 PDT 2004

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 08:23, Franz Klammer wrote:
>
>>Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>>>This is a stack overflow problem with CUPS being called out of a
>>>thread.  CUPS allocates a lot of memory on the stack, and it was
>>>overflowing the default 64 KB stack size.  Since that's all GThreadPools
>>>allow, I upped the amount of stack size in gthread to be 256 KB
>>>everywhere.  Yes, this is a hack, but I see no other way to handle this
>>>unless the GThreadPool API changes, libgnomecups is rewritten again not
>>>to use thread pools, or CUPS is updated to dynamically allocate memory
>>>on the heap.  Other ideas are certainly welcome.
>>>
>>>That said, given that this version of gnome-cups-manager uses
>>>libgnomeui-2.7 functions, it should probably be moved over to MC, and
>>>backed out of the FreeBSD ports tree.
>>>

>>it seems to work with 2.6 and my patch but it depends on a the
>>non existing port gnomesu.
>

> I wouldn't say it depends on gnomesu since it can be run as root without
> it.  I'd rather not add an explicit gnomesu dependency, but I will add
> gnomesu to gnome2-power-tools.

but what happends if someone start it from the gnome-menu as
normal user? gnome-cups-add will be started with gnomesu and if not
found an error will be displayed.

probably you are right and the update should be backed out until
gnome 2.8 is out. i tried today to disable a printer and no
(internal?) password dialog pops up - more: gnome-cups-manager freezes.
guess it's my patch - but i need it top build that port against
libgnome-2.6.

are i'm the only one who has problem with(and -out) the patch?

franz.