Crashes

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Jul 23 14:47:43 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 08:22, Jesse van den Kieboom wrote:
> Hi, I just installed gnome2.6 and all its components from the ports
> (actually ran the gnome_upgrade.sh script to upgrade from gnome 2.2 which
> was installed from CD).
>
> I got it running now, all my apps are the latest there are in the ports.
> But I encountered a few problems:
>
> Nautilus won't start under user perms:
> When I try to run nautilus (it crashes on gnome start) it crashes. gdb
> reports a problem in strchr?? which I don't understand. The funny thing is
> that nautilus does work when I start it from a terminal as root.

Describing a backtrace doesn't do us any good.  Please include the full
backtrace (i.e. output of bt full) with full debugging symbols.  If
Nautilus works as root, perhaps you installed your ports with the wrong
umask, and normal users can't access some system files.

> Another things is that the gnome_segv program itself crashes, or at least
> doesn't work properly as it will not show a dialog and after a while
> reaches 100% CPU usage.

Sounds like a missing library.

> I did have a gnome-panel crash but it didn't happen now so I'll wait for
> another crash.
>
> I rebuild nautilus2 and gnomevfs2 by the way but that didn't fix anything.
>
> Suggestions?

Look on the console of in ~/.xsession-errors for anything that looks
suspicious.  Also, try creating a dummy gnome account, and see if it
gets the same crashes.

Joe