is gnomelogalyzer useful?

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 23 07:43:10 PDT 2004

>> (07.23.2004 @ 1024 PST): Fernan Aguero said, in 1.6K: <<
> I have a problem building libgnomeui (actually I was trying
> to build eclipse-3.0 and that got me into an update of
> several gnome components). The last lines of the output of
> make are:
>
> checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4.1 gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.5.3... Requested 'gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4.1' but version of GTK+ is 2.4.0
>
> configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4.1
> gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.5.3) not met; consider adjusting the
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are
> in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
>

> When I feed this output to gnomelogalyzer it says:
> ./gnomelogalyzer.sh /root/install_logs/libgnomeui.out
>
> One or more GNOME libraries are too out-of-date.
>
> To correct this problem, make sure that sysutils/portupgrade is installed,
> and then upgrade all out-of-date ports with the command "portupgrade -a".
>
> 1) before running gnomelogalyzer I already knew what
> components I had to update (gtk+-2.0). Gnomelogalyzer is not
> giving me any useful information.
>
> 2) I don't find 'portupgrade -a' to be a solution to the
> problem. Of course, updating all of my ports should do it,
> but a good solution would be something like 'update A, B and
> C and your problem should go away".
>
> Perhaps I am missing something obvious?
>> end of "is gnomelogalyzer useful?" from Fernan Aguero <<

No. Gnomelogalyzer is useless if you automatically discount what it
says.

Gnomelogalyzer wasn't written to drill down exactly which ports need to
be updated. It was written to encourage people to run portupgrade. In
fact, I don't recall there being a single thing in there for which the
solution doesn't involve running portupgrade in some capacity.

If (a) you get a message saying "Requested 'gtk+-2.0  +>= 2.4.1' but
version of GTK+ is 2.4.0", and (b) you ran a program that told you to
upgrade out-of-date libraries, and (c) you already knew that you needed
to update Gtk2, and if you haven't updated gtk2 yet, your situation
might very well be beyond hope.

If you would like to make the gnomelogalyzer figure out exactly which
libraries should be updated (keeping in mind non-obvious dependencies as
well), be my guest.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger