converters/libiconv change request for net/samba3

NAKAJI Hiroyuki nakaji at tutrp.tut.ac.jp
Tue Jul 6 19:30:41 PDT 2004

Hello again,

> Sorry, I'm not sure about what the patch is changing for what. I only
> know that without this cp932-jis.patch net/samba3 cannot use EUC filename.

> About libiconv-1.9.1-cp932-jis.patch, contact the author MORIYAMA
> Masayuki <msyk at mtg.BIGLOBE.ne.jp> please.

I am very lucky to get some informations from my friends. They say that
libiconv is not complete and it needs refinement.

1. Miracle Linux, one of the Linux distribution company in Japan which
supports Samba i18n, has a web page about iconv problem. Please check it.

http://www.miraclelinux.com/english/technet/samba30/iconv_issues.html

2. Mr. Iijima gave me a sample explanation.

<cite>
(1)YEN SIGN: When ISO 646 was localized to JIS X0201, JIS committee changed
\x5C from backslash to yen sign. Most Japanese people, however, have used
for a long time yen sign in place of backslash as metacharacter such as
pathname separator on DOS/Windows or on C source code or shellscripts.

Therefore, Microsoft did a trick. Microsoft mapped JIS X0201's \x5C to
Unicode backslash (U+005C) whereas they left its glyph as yen sign.

(2)OVERLINE: The same story above applies to \x7E. JIS X0201 now states
that \x7E is overline by default but can be replaced with tilde.

The whole mapping table is available at:
http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/CP932.TXT
</cite>

Thanks.
--