Build of Mozilla failed

Bram Moolenaar Bram at moolenaar.net
Sat Jan 24 04:11:10 PST 2004

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > Slow loading of pages, some parts of pages are not displayed.  Would
> > have to look into the page sources to find out why (perhaps it's
> > javascript or something like that).  I also see that my KDE color
> > preferences mess up how the toolbar looks.
>
> I haven't noticed any problems like that.  Do you have some example
> pages?  Since I don't use KDE, I don't have a suggestion on that.
> Perhaps kde@ could offer more insight.

I now found a way to run Mozilla next to Netscape (skip the shell script
and start the executable directly).  This requires creating a new user
profile.  Surprisingly this solved the problems I had with the color
settings!  Slow loading still exists, especially making the first
connection to a site is very slow.

> > > The gtk2 version is needed for building gtk2-based browsers like galeon2
> > > and epiphany which require Mozilla as a base.  mozilla-bonobo is a
> > > Mozilla plug-in that enables one to embed bonobo controls into Mozilla
> > > (e.g. ggv, gpdf, gnumeric, etc.).
> >
> > And, eh, do I need it?
>
> If you have a lot of GNOME apps installed, and you like to view things
> like PDF documents, spreadsheets, word processor documents, etc.
> directly in your browser, then you'll want it.
>
> >   I was hoping for an answer like "it runs faster
> > but requires installing GTK2" or "uses more memory and doesn't offer
> > more features".
>
> The -gtk2 version is prettier, but it is the same basic browser.  If you
> don't need gtk2 support, don't install it.

That's more like the kind of answers I would like to see on that web
page.  Will help quite a few people to decide what version to install.

> > Considering how much effort it has been to make all these ports,
> > explaining people what the differences are can't be that much work.
> > Unless the porters don't want anyone to know about their efforts...
>
> Finding the right place for this is the hard part.  We could add another
> project section (i.e. www.freebsd.org/mozilla), but that will take
> approval from doc@, and someone to build the content.  However, it's
> something we should do.

I have the impression that FreeBSD is currently a small group of clever
and hard working engineers, with the marketing department missing.  Thus
they make a lot of nice things, but hardly anyone knows where to get it
or what it actually does.  No surprise FreeBSD is mostly used for servers.

					Arthur C. Clarke

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram at Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///