Evolution 1.4.5 and gethostbyname()

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Jan 23 19:00:38 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 20:22, Byron Schlemmer wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 23:55, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > Evo uses gethostbyname_r.  However, this function is not available on
> > FreeBSD, so Evo includes its own version.  THAT may be buggy.  Linux
> > _does_ have gethostbyname_r, and thus the internal Evo function is not
> > used.  You may want to poke around the code, and see if something
> > obviously wrong jumps out at you.
>
> Cool, thanks for the info. I'm glad I've managed to work out what was
> wrong at least, it was driving me bananas. So I'll see if I can spot
> anything.

The code to look at is in e-util/e-host-utils.c as well as
camel/providers/smtp/camel-smtp-transport.c and camel/camel-service.c.
I would look at doing some g_warning() statements in
camel-smtp-transport.c around line 888 to figure out first what is being
passed to camel_gethostbyaddr(), then figure out what that function is
returning in host (or you could use gdb for this).

It looks like transport->localaddr->address may not be what you think it
is.  You might end up needing to do some kind of smtp masquerading.