Build of Mozilla failed

Bram Moolenaar Bram at moolenaar.net
Fri Jan 23 12:57:49 PST 2004

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > That raises these questions:
> >
> > - What is the difference between mozilla-devel and mozillafirebird?
>
> Firebird is the newer,...

Thanks for the answers.  But the real question was where on
www.freebsd.org this can be found.  I'm not the only one that is looking
for them!

> more polished browser built from the Mozilla tree.  It aims to replace
> Netscape/Mozilla as the front-end browser piece.  Have a look at
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird.

I suppose that's another thing to try out and see if it's stable enough
for me to use...

> > - I have some trouble with the ordinary mozilla, will this be solved by
> >   installing mozilla-devel or mozillafirebird?
>
> Not sure.  What problems?

Slow loading of pages, some parts of pages are not displayed.  Would
have to look into the page sources to find out why (perhaps it's
javascript or something like that).  I also see that my KDE color
preferences mess up how the toolbar looks.

> > - What are the -gtk2 and -bonobo versions?
>
> The gtk2 version is needed for building gtk2-based browsers like galeon2
> and epiphany which require Mozilla as a base.  mozilla-bonobo is a
> Mozilla plug-in that enables one to embed bonobo controls into Mozilla
> (e.g. ggv, gpdf, gnumeric, etc.).

And, eh, do I need it?  I was hoping for an answer like "it runs faster
but requires installing GTK2" or "uses more memory and doesn't offer
more features".

[...]

> > - Do I have to try them all out to be able to decide what works for me?
>
> Or ask others.  I use galeon2 as my primary browser, and only bring up
> Firebird for certain apps.  This means I also have mozilla-gtk2
> installed.

As it is now the answer is probably "install them all, you never know
which one you need to use" :-).

> > Would be very nice if there is a page on www.freebsd.org that explains
> > all this.
>
> Perhaps this is something we can add if someone steps up to write some
> content.

Considering how much effort it has been to make all these ports,
explaining people what the differences are can't be that much work.
Unless the porters don't want anyone to know about their efforts...

> > I already discovered that flashplugin-mozilla stinks.  And it appears to
> > be slow.  I went back to my Netscape 7.1 (linux version) for now.  But I
> > can't manage to make Java work with that one, while it does work with
> > mozilla (native).
>
> You may want to look at the flashpluginwrapper for the native Mozilla.
> This will require 4.9 or better (and with 4.X, you'll need a base OS
> patch as well).

I'm still running 4.8.  I only upgrade once in a while (takes too much
time and always causes new trouble).  Sounds complicated, I'll stick
with Netscape 7.1 and run mozilla when I need Java.  One annoying thing:
can't run them at the same time, because when starting mozilla it sees
that Netscape is running and opens a tab inside it...

--
It is illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over
puddles of water.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram at Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///