Keyboard repeat rate and delay are saved as floats

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Wed Jan 21 03:39:26 PST 2004

Hi,

[ FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE, Gnome 2.5, see pkginfo.txt ]

When I use <Menu>->Applications->Desktop Preferences->Keyboard to
customize my settings, I get the following error (in a gwarning box):

Type mismatch: Expected `int' got `float' for key
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/rate

Type mismatch: Expected `int' got `float' for key
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/delay

While this message is only annoying, the real problem is, that my
keyboard is unusable since the float values are misinterpreted: When I
press a key, it is printed twice are more often, i.e. the delay seems to
be very short and the repeat speed very high.

The only possibility to restore valid integer values is to use gconf
editor, and to delete the bogus float values and to re-create them as
integers (delay=450 and rate=90 are good choices for me).

I had a glance at gnomecontrolcenter's code, and it looks that gconf
entries get their type specification from schemas. The corresponding one
seems to be

/usr/X11R6/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_peripherals_keyboard.schemas.

There, both rate and delay are ints.

Before I take any further action, like trying to produce a patch or file
a bugzilla report, I'd like to know whether somebody can reproduce this,
or whether this is a local problem.

Regards,
 Simon