RFC: Restructuring GNOME meta-ports

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 5 17:50:53 PST 2004

>> (01.05.2004 @ 1843 PST): Joe Marcus Clarke said, in 1.9K: <<
> I was thinking maybe we should borrow something from garnome seeing as
> since they've borrowed practically everything from us already ;-) (the
> ports system, that is).  What if we restructured the GNOME meta-ports to
> look something like this:
>
> x11/gnome2 (leave it the way it is)
> x11/gnome2-lite (leave it the way it is)

I would rather see an x11/gnome2-desktop port, and have x11/gnome2 be a
metaport for the Whole Damn Thing. Or, well... I think there should be a
meta meta port.

Also, I think that gnome2-lite could also perhaps be made to be a meta
meta port.

> x11/gnome2-fifth-toe (Will consist of the following):
>  graphics/gthumb2 news/pan2 net/gnomeicu2
>  x11-toolkits/gnome-themes-extras sysutils/gkrellm
>  graphics/gimp-devel www/bluefish-devel
>  net/tsclient graphics/sodipodi
>  security/seahorse ftp/gftp net/gossip
>  audio/rhythmbox net/straw
>  multimedia/totem mail/balsa2
>  irc/xchat2 net/gaim www/galeon2
>  audio/jamboree

is this list adhering to GNOME's specifications? cuz if not, I'm going
to put some suggestions below.

> x11/gnome2-power-tools (New meta-port consisting of the following):
>  devel/gnomevfs-extras sysutils/gnome-pkgview
>  misc/quick-lounge-applet x11/gswitchit
>  editors/dasher net/netspeed_applet
>  editors/gedit-plugins deskutils/gdesklets
>  net/gnomenetwork net/gnomenetstatus

what about epiphany-extensions?

> devel/gnome2-hacker-tools (New meta-port consisting of the following):
>  editors/mlview devel/gnomecommon devel/glade2
>  editors/ghex2 devel/regexxer editors/conglomerate
>  devel/anjuta-devel texproc/meld

i do not like the names power-tools and hacker-tools. they are only
descriptive to certain groups of people.

> deskutils/gnome2-office (New meta port consisting of the following):
>  math/gnumeric2 deskutils/mrproject [planner] graphics/dia
>  deskutils/glabels mail/evolution editors/AbiWord2
>
> Thoughts?

I'd like to consider some different organizations.

I'd like to see stuff broken down in ways similar to how the ports tree
does it. I think that all mail and news apps, for example, should be
kept together, and should be under a productivity heading that includes
the components listed above for gnome2-office, as well as things like
gimp and maybe bluefish.

I'd like to see an "extensions" category that contains additions to
other things. Things like applets, -extras, -extensions,
gnome-theme-extras, etc.

gnome2-h4x0r-t00lz i like though. still not thrilled with the name
though.

I'd like to see maybe an entertainment category. Totem, rhythmbox,
xchat2, gossip, gnomeicu2, etc. Maybe a systemtools category that
contains gftp, gnomenetwork, etc. Dunno where all of this leaves gkrellm
and gdesklets, but I think that they should be in the same category.
Besides, gdesklets seems to be becoming more popular than gkrellm2,
development of which seems to have slowed to a halt.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
vectors.cx	>>  adam at vectors.cx	>>  http://www.vectors.cx