games/gcompris* update

Alexander Nedotsukov bland at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 27 01:31:48 PST 2004

John Hay wrote:

>>I think you shoud follow generic rule of dealing with ports maintained
>>by other people.
>>

>Well I did ask on gnome@ which is the maintainer of gcompris2. :-)
>

>>Second you may want to use this as start point:
>>   http://people.freebsd.org/~bland/gcompriss2.patch
>>   http://people.freebsd.org/~bland/libassetml.shar
>>

>Thanks, I had a quick look and will have a better look tonight. libassetml
>looks fine so why don't you commit it, then there is one thing less to
>worry about?

Okay. Done. It was sitting in MarcusCom repo for some time waiting
become really useful in ports tree. Now you guilty to fight that spotted
snake ;-)

>>I did this some time ago but not commited because besides gcompross have
>>--without-python configure option it still complains a lot about missing
>>modules at run-time. So it usable but definetly provoke a lot of python
>>related PRs I won't to deal with this time.
>>

>I haven't seen this, but then I didn't try --without-python because there were already so many things that requires python. I'll have a look at it over the weekend though. Was there a reason that you wanted it without python? From what I understand there isn't anything in gcompris using it yet, they just added the framework for it, so that boards can be written in python.

Right. But afair my very first attempt to update gcompriss was 4.9
(gcompriss release) and that time gcompriss failed to build w/ python
support. Since I don't like snakes for some reason I switched  their
support off. But built w/o python support gcompriss complained at
run-time about missed pyton module plus I got few abort()s related to
python integration randomly walking through the game boards while
testing. All this give me impression that port is not safe for parents
yet ;-)
    To be honest I did not try 5.0-2 versions with python support. May
be something changed since 4.9 time and you will be more lucky. Let me know.

Thanks,
Alexander.