Galeon fails to find Java

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Feb 16 20:01:45 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 22:42, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Since my recent update of ports I no longer seem to have Java plugins in
> Galeon.
>
> I have the following Java ports installed:
> jdk-1.4.2p6_3
> linux-sun-jdk-1.3.1.10
> linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.03
>
> But, when I run a freshly built galeon-1.3.12, I only see the falsh/shockwave
> plugins and all web pages using Java ask me about downloading the
> plugin.
>
> Am I missing something obvious? Do I need to back down to jdk-1.3? I get
> no Java releated errors when I start galeon, so I am baffled as to where
> to look.

I noticed my Java recently broke because of the gettext thing.  Updating
it so that it depended on libintl.so.6 fixed the problem.  I was using
1.3.1, however.  My 1.4.2 plug-in works out of the box in Galeon,
though.  I did notice that building the JDK with debugging support
breaks the plug-in, but it doesn't look like you've done that.  From
Galeon's Help->About Plugins:

Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2-p5-marcus_27_nov_2003_16_25

        File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
        Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2

Joe