portupgrade -rf gettext -m BATCH=yes fails at gnomemeeting stage

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sun Feb 8 17:30:01 PST 2004

Hi Adam,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Weinberger <adamw at freebsd.org>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Mon, 09 Feb, 2004 00:49 GMT
Subject: Re: portupgrade -rf gettext -m BATCH=yes fails at gnomemeeting stage

> > For what its worth.., I had a check on other servers here, and /nonexistent *does* exist on those systems as well - in fact even on workstations. So I can't see why this is a required option for this machine.
> >> end of "Re: portupgrade -rf gettext -m BATCH=yes fails at gnomemeeting stage" from Stacey Roberts <<
>
> And I assume these are all machines you set up?
>
> The whole point of /nonexistent is that it *doesn't exist*. People can't
> log in as a user if there's no home directory.
>
> Really, it sounds like you shouldn't use the systems there as your
> comparison point.

I understand the point you're making, Adam, really I do. If I may, could I present the point I am attempting to make in another way, then?

I install FreeBSD-4.9 Rel from scratch
I then install latest XFree86
I install latest Gnome2, following: -
# cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2
# make clean
# make install clean

For the best GNOME 2.4 experience, you should install from ports, after adding the following macros to your /etc/make.conf file:

WITH_FAM=  yes
WITH_LAME=  yes

WITH_FAM enables file alteration manager support which allows Nautilus to update its file lists in real-time as well as allows all GNOME components to detect config file changes without needing to restart GNOME. Note that for FAM to work properly, you also need to add the following to /etc/rc.conf then reboot:

For FreeBSD 4.x:
portmap_enable="YES"

When I check /etc/passwd, I see:
gdm:*:92:92:GNOME Display Manager:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

Have I done something wrong?

If I *did* do something wrong, fair enough.., Please let me know where that mistake would have occurred. I'm not resisting your (both yours and Mezz') here.., I really do appreciate your advice, and would simply like to understand how I could have gotten to this (of possible misconfigured) situation.

Thanks again for taking the time to put me on the right track, guys.., I *DO* appreciate the time..,

Regards,

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts