how to set environment variables for gnome?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sat Feb 7 16:26:04 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 02:33, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello. I'm afraid I may be posting message to the wrong list ... If this is
> OT please tell me where should this kind of questions go to... the
> gnome-freebsd list on gnome.org looks almost dead.
>
> If I start gnome from startx(1), I can set XMODIFIERS before that. But now
> I use gdm, how do I set XMODIFIERS?
>
> Simply put a "setenv XMODIFIERS @im=chinput" in ~/.cshrc or "export
> XMODIFIERS=@im=chinput" in ~/.shrc won't work.

I assume you're using gdm to start X.  If so, and you're using a
gdm2-2.4.4.x, then you can create a ~/.xprofile file that contains
Bourne-shell like initializations.  For example:

XMODIFIERS=@im=chinput ; export XMODIFIERS

And that should carry into your X session (note: this can also go in
~/.prolfile).

Joe