gnomevfs2 and gnomevfs-extras

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 6 15:01:08 PST 2004

>> (02.06.2004 @ 1619 PST): Jeremy Messenger said, in 2.5K: <<
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:51:33 -0500, Adam Weinberger <adamw at magnesium.net>
> wrote:
>
> >okay, i'm seeing a problem in my latest 2.5 build, and i am only on a
> >quick break between classes so i cannot investigate. but, here's the
> >deal (this is from a 2.5 system, but it might be true of a 2.4 system
> >too):
> >
> >gnome2-power-tools depends upon libsmb.so, to be installed as part of
> >gnomevfs-extras. on my latest run, gnomevfs-extras never got installed.
> >
> >turns out gnomevfs2 built (and i assume installed) a libsmb.so. i don't
> >know if gnomevfs-extras also builds one and it conflicts, or what.
>
> Umm, weird.. gnome2-power-tools should install gnomevfs-extras, because
> there's no conflict in between gnomevfs2 and gnomevfs-extras. I just
> installed gnome2-power-tools and it does install the libsmb.so.

Right. I know it's supposed to. But on a clean 2.5 build/install on a
clean system, gnomevfs-extras did not get built because
${X11BASE}/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libsmb.so already existed. And it
looked from my build logs that it was devel/gnomevfs2 that probably
installed that file.

I'm trying to understand if this is reproducable behaviour.

> >1) does gnomevfs2 install libsmb.so?
>
> Nope, but FreeBSD does. Here has 5.2-CURRENT and Gnome 2.5.x, btw..
>
> ========================
> # ls /usr/lib | grep smb
> libsmb.a
> /usr/lib/libsmb.so
> /usr/lib/libsmb.so.1
>
> # ls /usr/X11R6/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/ | grep smb
> [...empty...]
> ========================
>
> I don't have gnomevfs-extra install, so I don't have any libsmb.so from
> Gnome stuff.

Remove gnomevfs-extras, make sure that ${X11BASE}/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libsmb.so
doesn't exist, and then reinstall gnomevfs2. Please let me know whether
or not libsmb.so is installed.

> >2) does gnomevfs-extras install libsmb.so?
>
> Yep, it should as far it does to my system.. I just went to
> x11/gnome2-power-tools and installed, so here's the result:
>
> ========================
> # ls /usr/X11R6/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/ | grep smb
> libsmb.so
>
> # pkg_info | grep gnomevfs
> gnomevfs-extras-0.99.13_1 A plugin for gnomevfs2 to browse smb shares with
> nautilus2
> gnomevfs2-2.5.6_1   GNOME Virtual File System
>
> # pkg_info | grep power
> gedit2-2.5.3_1      A small but powerful text editor for Gnome 2 Desktop
> Enviro
> gnome2-power-tools-2.5.3 "Geektoys" for the GNOME 2 power user
> ========================

Right. According to our pkg-plists, that's what is supposed to happen.
But they don't necessarily reflect reality, and I am trying to find out
if that is the case.

> >3) should gnome2-power-tools depend upon something else?
>
> I don't think, because it install fine to me.
>
> >4) does gnomevfs2 conflict with gnomevfs-extras?
>
> Impossible, gnomevfs-extras is designed to add stuff with gnomevfs.

Right, but if they both are installing the same file, there's a
conflict.

> >5) is this also a problem in 2.4?
>
> No idea..

Can somebody test this please?