gnome failure to start

Mike Harding mvh at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 23 13:37:55 PST 2004

Gnome didn't start for me this morning after an xorg upgrade, I had
the following in my .xsession-errors:

_IceTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.ICE-unix will not be created.
_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: mkdir(/tmp/.ICE-unix) failed, errno = 2
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

** (gnome-session:1016): WARNING **: Cannot establish any listening sockets

I traced this to /tmp being cleared, and .ICE-unix being cleared with
it.  Apparenty it has to be in .tmp just so:

  drwxrwxrwt   2 root   wheel  512 Dec 23 12:51 .ICE-unix

- Mike H.