gconf2-2.8.1 bug: never dies

toyotoshy umbertobox at yahoo.it
Sun Dec 19 03:31:23 PST 2004

Hallo eveybody,
first of all I apologize for my poor english.
I've got 3 very different and 686 compatible different computers
running FreeBSD 4.10.
The installations are quite fresh: I installed thge base system few
weeks ago and then used *only* ports system to installa things I need.
in partiucular I've installed xfce-4.0.6_1(is the only window manager I
allow users to use), mozilla-1.7.3_3,2 and gconf2-2.8.1(if I'm not
wrong it is a dependency)
I've got the same problem on every computer: when users log in, they
startx, and so xfce and gconfd-2 do start, but gconf2-d doesn't
automaticaly die when they log out of the system. It *never* dies.
So the administrator has to kill it by hand, or the user has to do this
operation before logging out.
Here is an example of relevant line of the output of a top:

15150 me   2   0  3680K  1980K poll     0:00  0.00%  0.00% gconfd-2

It does stay in poll state forever.
I asked in the newsgourp comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc and they suggested
me to report this problem as a bug at this mailing list.
Best regards!

--
Toyotoshy