nautilus and network:///

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Fri Dec 17 00:55:29 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 23:15 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > [sean at server sean]$ gnome-keyring-manager
> >
> > (gnome-keyring-manager:17427): Gnome-Keyring-Manager-WARNING **: Failed
> > get the default keyring.
> >
> > Corrupted?
>
> Possibly, or maybe there's a 64-bit bug.

Well... it's not really a 64-bit bug, but an alignment bug.  It could be
an issue only on FreeBSD/amd64, but I doubt it.  The problem is that the
credentials being passed through the socket are poorly aligned because
there is a char followed by a char array in one place.  This char array
then is assigned as a struct pointer.  I have cleaned up the code and
done it a way that should work on any system.  Here is the patch to
security/gnomekeyring.  There is another place this is done and should
be fixed as well, but there is an integer defined before the array which
lends to proper alignment.

Cheers,
Sean

p.s.  There is an empty file in security/gnomekeyring/files that should
probably be removed called patch-gnome-keyring-daemon.c.orig.