nautilus and network:///

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Dec 16 17:48:50 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 15:22 -0800, Sean McNeil wrote:
> How do I get this working?  I get a blank window with this.  I've also
> tried smb:/// and smb://windows_machine (name and ip).  I get "blah is
> not a valid location".
>
> I have
>
> nautilus2-2.8.2_1
> nautilus-media-0.8.1
> nautilus-cd-burner-2.8.6
>
> and
>
> samba-3.0.9,1
> samba-libsmbclient-3.0.9_1
>
> Windows machines can see the network just fine.  My computer has a share
> and looking in system-setting://networking I see what looks like good
> info in the General tab (with the exception of domain name which just
> says com for some reason).

I had problems with nautilus smb browsing too when Gnome 2.8 came out.
Your best bet for fixing this is to run a packet trace while you try and
connect.  I found that I was sending the incorrect workgroup name which
was causing my browsing problems here.  (I had the same problems with XP
Home too.)

gnome-keyring-manager is your friend with SMB shares.  I store the
attributes for my connections like my User, Domain, Server, Object
(folder), and Password in there.

Let me know what the error is that you're getting and I'll see if it's
the same or if I've run into it before.  I've battled samba a number of
times here.

Tom

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD