newly built AbiWord-2.2 dies on startup

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Dec 12 13:31:08 PST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:12:08 -0500 (EST), Mikhail Teterin
<mi at corbulon.video-collage.com> wrote:

>> > The AbiWord-2.0 worked and, thankfully, continues to work with
>> > only occasional crashes. The newly built and installed next to
>> > the older brethren AbiWord-2.2, however, segfaults on startup
>> > (after showing the logo) with the following core:
>>
>> Are you using the different locale? Can you try this patch in attach?
>
> Yes. LANG is set to uk_UA.KOI8-U -- as it was with AbiWord-2.0, that
> continues to work.
>
>> Put it in /usr/ports/editors/abiword/files/ and rebuild/reinstall it,
>> then let me know the result. This patch was created by bland back in
>> AbiWord2 2.0.3_2.
>
> Thank you! The patch works -- the program comes up and the menus/dialogs
> are in Ukrainian. However, when trying to browse a directory (like when
> opening), the file-names are presented with Cyrillic characters replaced
> by their octal (I guess) equivalents. That's an improvement over 2.0,
> which would not mention those files at all in its listing, saying
> something
> about G_FILENAME_ENCODING on stderr.
>
> Trying to set G_FILENAME_ENCODING to uk_UA.KOI8-U as well crashes 2.0
> (GLib-ERROR **: gmem.c:140: failed to allocate 1024 bytes), and has NO
> EFFECT on 2.2 (no crash, no Cyrillics in filenames).
>
> Many thanks for the patch! Please, do add it to the port.

Thanks for report/test and has been committed!

> I can't be the only one :-)

Well... I get almost zero report/feedback, since I worked with AbiWord
(included abiword-plugins) 2.1.x to 2.2.1. Maybe, nobody use AbiWord in
marcuscom... I might get more feedback later, because it's in FreeBSD
ports now. ;-)

> 	-mi

FreeBSD GNOME Team