inkscape port status

Alexander Nedotsukov bland at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 2 23:23:08 PST 2004

Lauri J Järvenpää wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I understood that Inkscape 0.39 was, for some reason, impossible to port to
>FBSD 4.x. Is it now possible to build and run Inkscape 0.40 succesfully on
>FBSD 4.10 systems? And are there plans to update the port?

I have a good news and bad news. Good news that inkscape was ported to
gtkmm-2.4 and therefore port will be available for 4.x systems. Bad news
is that they started to use evil technology called boehm-gc to solve
memory leaks and ironically it makes opposite thing on FreeBSD. So the
only show stopper ATM is broken garbage collector and I trying to fix it
ATM. If there will be big demand I can upload patch set but IMHO
inkscape in it current shape is not much useful for serious work unless
you going to restart it every half an hour.

All the best,
Alexander.