[Fwd: Re: Mounting A Floppy from the GNOME Desktop]

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 19:42:22 PDT 2004

Forgot to cc the list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Mounting A Floppy from the GNOME Desktop
Date: 	Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:42:32 -0400
From: 	Bob Perry <rperry4 at earthlink.net>
To: 	Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
<1093733394.55460.8.camel at shumai.marcuscom.com>

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 18:34, Bob Perry wrote:
>

>>Section 7.10.1 of the Nautilus 2.6.3 help text instructs you to
>>open the Computer icon on the GNOME desktop and double click
>>on the Floppy object if you wish to mount a floppy diskette.  The
>>only objects in my Computer dialogue box are the FileSystem
>>and Network objects.  There is a floppy folder in the FileSystem
>>file but I was expecting an icon/object as indicated.  This is my
>>fstab data:
>>
>># Device Mountpoint FStype  Options   Dump  Pass#
>>/dev/fd0  /floppy   msdos   rw,noauto  0     0
>>
>>Is there other inofrmation available which will help me resolve
>>this issue?
>>

>http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q19
>
>Joe
>

>>Thank you.
>>Bob Perry

Thanks Joe for the faq2 site.  It's now a part of my bookmarks.

Both floppy and cdrom objects appear in the Computer dialogue
window but I receive the message "Unable to mount selected
volume.   msdos: /dev/fd0:  Permission denied."  when I select
the floppy.  Similar problem with the cdrom object.

I receive the same message when mounting manually from the
command line as user.  However, there is no problem when I
"su" to root and then mount the floppy.  I have user ownership
of both mountpoints.

I always run startx as user (I think that's recommended.),
and then run su when I'm in the desktop.

I'm sure there's something fundamentally wrong on my part.
Just can't put my finger on it.

Bob

--
I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p2 #0