Installing fonts for Gnome

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Aug 27 09:31:08 PDT 2004

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:19:46 -0400
>

> --=-rw8frUd12VC1xKdwEglb
>
> On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 21:27, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I'm running Gnome 2.6 and have been trying to find out how to add new
> > fonts to Gnome. More specifically, I have a dual system with FreeBSD and
> > Windows. I'd like to be able to use the Windows fonts, especially the
> > TrueType fonts, in FreeBSD and Gnome.
> >=20
> > I've been looking for any documentation on this, but have struck out to
> > this point.
> >=20
> > Any ideas where I might find this information? Does anyone know if this
> > is Gnome specific or an X issue or some combination.
>
> XFree86 and X.Org can both make use of TrueType Windows fonts.  I keep
> all of mine in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType.  There is a good
> section in the handbook on using fonts in X:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html
>
> It also talks about configuring fontconfig to control font properties.=20
> Some of this information can also be found in the FreeBSD GNOME FAQ at
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html.

I still don't see much in the FAQ, but the X11 documentation in the
handbook almost got me there. The problem is that ttmkfdir will not
build on current. I worked around this by building with G++ 2.95, but I
really don't like this "solution".

In any case, I finally have my Windows TrueType fonts available on
FreeBSD and they do show up in Gnome apps.

Thanks! I really should have found this myself.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)