please test gdesklets-0.30 on 4.x

Franz Klammer klammer at webonaut.com
Tue Aug 17 00:52:44 PDT 2004

Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:57:36 +0200, Franz Klammer
> <klammer at webonaut.com>  wrote:
>
>> Pav Lucistnik wrote:
>>

>>> calendar
>>>
>>> can't load sensor Calendar.
>>>

>> found a solution/workaround:
>> Calendar try to import a module that doesn't exist any more in 0.30.
>>
>> attached a patch (hi! mezz ;-)).
>

> Thanks for create a patch! I shall commit it when 0.30 goes in the
> ports  tree. Umm, a question, why do you remove the -O and *.pyo?

a good question :-)

i always thought that .pyc is more optimized than .pyo an therefore
and to install not so much (not really necessary?) files i removed all
.pyo's from my ports. ok! today i looked at python.org and read that
my thoughts are basically wrong but:

"When the Python interpreter is invoked with the -O flag, optimized
  code is generated and stored in .pyo files. The optimizer currently
  doesn't help much; it only removes assert statements. When -O is used,
  all bytecode is optimized; .pyc files are ignored and .py files are
  compiled to optimized bytecode."

more here:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/node8.html#SECTION008120000000000000000

so i still think it's a too minor optimization to install .pyo file too.

franz.