xterm in gnome

Vladimir Chukharev chu at h33.erkki.ton.tut.fi
Wed Aug 11 13:49:31 PDT 2004

Can anybody confirm that gnome cannot close xterm on another (not active)
workplace? But better tell me where I am wrong and how to correct this!

I use gnome, metacity, 4 workplaces. I start xterm (not gnome-terminal),
then change to another workplace (e.g. by pressing ctrl+alt+rightArrow),
and
here I try to logout (via menu). Press OK on usual logout window. But
gnome does not finish working till I change to the workplace, where the
xterm
is runing, in which case the logout is doing its job normally...

This should be considered as a security issue, IMHO. If user is used
to a fast closing of gnome and just goes away after pressing OK,
he can be suprised to find later gnome still working for everybody passing
by.
At least I found the issue exactly this way, fortunately at home.
Well, to be correct, most programs do not really work, they do not
allow typing or clicking operations, only scrolling, but some are fully
functional, notably xterm (if you have two running in different workplaces
copies).

This is not specific to metacity or XFree86-4.4. With a few previous
versions of XFree86 and with couple different window managers under gnome
similar thing happens - just not that repeatable. And sometimes (rearly)
similar
thing happens under icewm, if a program written for gnome was started.
Well, I did not use icewm for months now, so I'm not sure about it...

Yes, I upgraded gnome with the script recommended in UPDATING.
About a month ago I deleted all XFree86, tried to install Xorg,
failed and installed XFree86 again. It did not change the described
behavior.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD svak.h33.erkki.ton.tut.fi 4.10-STABLE FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #1: Wed
Aug  4 23:05:54 EEST 2004
root at svak.h33.erkki.ton.tut.fi:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SVAK  i386

Any ideas? What else can I check?

Best regards,