Problems with the new file selector and non-threaded applications

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 23 01:20:57 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 22:38, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

[snip]

> > Solution:
> > ---------
> >
> > We don't have a good one at this point.  Here's what I see as possible
> > solutions:
> >
> > 1. Set GNOME's PTHREAD_LIBS to -pthread for all versions of FreeBSD.
> > _Pros:_ This should fix the problem as it will emulate what 4.X does,
> > and ORBit will do the right thing in the non-threaded case.  _Cons:_ I
> > haven't tested this on 5.2.1, but it will work on -CURRENT.  We will
> > have to relink all applications that depend on gtk20 to make this 100%
> > effective.
>
> This seems to be a best solution until 6.x if nobody have any better
> solution. I would care less for 5.2.1 if it is going to not work, because
> they should be expected since it's a new technology. I personal see no
> point of keep 5.0 and 5.1 either.

I lied, this does not work.  It looked like it worked, but in fact, the
gtk+ file selector was used since there were undefined pthread symbols.

> All the others(2,3,4,5)' Cons don't look good, I think they will hurt more.

I think 2 might be our best bet.  There's also a modified 2 we can
consider, where we explicitly add PTHREAD_LIBS to all non-threaded ports
that invoke the file selector.  This could be done reactively once
people start reporting crashes.  Or, we could combine 2 and 3 so we
wouldn't get a crash, but people could see a warning, send email, and we
could then link the app to PTHREAD_LIBS.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome