Another Gnome 2.6 upgrade Failure

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Apr 8 15:40:45 GMT 2004

> Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:57:13 -0400
> From: "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb at homer.att.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>

> On a 4.9-STABLE box that was running gnome-dev (2.5.9?? for marcuscom.com),
> on Tuesday, 4/6, I cvsup'ed the ports, downloaded gnome_upgrade.sh and tried
> to upgrade to 2.6.  It failed with:
>  *** UPGRADE FAILED ***
>
> ===> /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade failed to run a recursive upgrade on glib-2*.
> The output of the failed build is in /var/tmp/gnome_upgrade_log.QTO5Mt.  If
> you require additional help in figuring out why the upgrade failed, please
> compress /var/tmp/gnome_upgrade_log.QTO5Mt and send it to
> freebsd-gnome at FreeBSD.org.
>
> When I looked at the log file, the tail of it read:
> ===>  Cleaning for liferea-0.4.6e_2
> ===>  Vulnerability check disabled
> ===>  Extracting for liferea-0.4.6e_2
> >> Checksum mismatch for liferea-0.4.6e.tar.gz.

The easiest thing to do when you get this error (checksum mismatch on a
distribution file) is:
rm /usr/ports/distfiles/liferea-0.4.6e.tar.gz

The cause is usually the distributor re-rolling the tarballs without
incrementing the version. This is not really a Gnome-2.6 issue. The
liferea problem showed up about a week ago under 2.4 on all of my
systems.

Perhaps this could be added as a warning in the FAQ since the proximity
of the advent of the liferea problem was so close to the release of 2.6
that many people will only see it when attempting the upgrade and
starting all over after this is a bit painful and it will always be
required on any system that does not track ports pretty closely.

By the way, good going on the upgrade packaging. I have upgraded 3 of
my 4 personal systems to 2.6 with only minimal problems. It was MUCH
smoother than the Gnome 2.2 and 2.4 upgrades. I will probably start the
upgrade of my old AMD K6 system tonight. It will take a VERY long time
to complete on this slow old system.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)