Problems

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun Sep 28 10:18:12 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 09:01, Andrew Grillet wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have done a CVSup to fetch ports and stable over a fresh install of
> FreeBSD 4.8.
>
> When building Gnome (2.4.0) I had problems with gstreamer requiring an
> old version of gnomeui. 2.00 instead of 2.4.
>
> I patched the makefile for gstreamer and gstreamer-plugins, to version
> 2.4.0 and it now gnome compiles OK (subject to having enough disk space
> :-)
>
> BUT what I want to know is
>
> WHY IN GODS NAME DO I HAVE TO SPEND TWO DAYS COMPILING AUDIO STUFF FOR A
> MACHINE WITH NO SOUND HARDWARE?
>
> Surely the default should be that there is no sound support - who needs
> sound in a business environment? Or do people think it deters their
> employees surfing porn sites?
>
> I think there is a more general problem here: Surely Gnome should not be
> dependent on things like mozilla - it should integrate them if they are
> present, but if they aren't. it should not fetch them and compile them
> - many of us use different applications, or have no need of an
> equivalent application on machines used for a specific purpose. It is
> annoying to find the Gui hauls in every application known to the
> developers. (If its any consellation - I have had the same moan at the
> KDE team several times :-)

These are arguments you should take up with the GNOME development team.
GNOME puts out a desktop release with a set of components, and those are
ported to FreeBSD.  The majority of users want things like a browser,
and multimedia tools.  If you don't want all of those things, you might
consider making your own GNOME 2 meta-port modeled after x11/gnome2 that
just includes the components you want.

Joe