Portupgrade Problem w/New Gnome2 Release

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 21 12:10:26 PDT 2003

Hello,
Yesterday, I ran the portupgrade utitlity, portupgrade -arR, without paying
enough attention to the ports that were designated as "in need of upgrade".

When the process ended, I found that only 19 of 49 files had been upgraded.
I also found out much later that many of the ports effected were ports
involved in the new release (news to me) of GNOME2.  It was suggested that I
review documentation on the GNOME2 release from the website, IRC, mailing
lists, etc. and go from there.

This morning, however, I was unable to access my desktop.  After typing
startx, two dialogue boxes appeared.  The first one read, "There was a
problem registering the panel with the bonobo-activation server.  The error
code is 3.  The panel will now exit."

The second read, "Nautilus can't be used now due to an unexpected error."
Clicking "OK" failed to make either disappear.

I'm preparing this note from my NT4.0 box.  Any suggestions as to how I can
get my desktop back in operation?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Perry