Gnome 2.4 + Xinerama problems

Gregory Wright gwright at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 09:54:16 PDT 2003

Hi,

I just built gnome 2.4 from the Marcuscom cvs. I'm using FreeBSD
5.1-RELEASE
on i386 (dual Xeon 2.8 GHz + 2GB RAM). Things mostly work, but there
are problems
with gnome and xinerama.

My xinerama setup is a matrox g200 MMS driving three monitors (one
channel of the
g200 MMS is unused). On the secondary displays, the screen is sometimes
not redrawn,
leaving black areas.

My basic xinerama setup seems to work OK. It's fine under twm. When I
run gnome (or
a gtk2 application under twm) I get the redraw problem. It seems to be
a toolkit issue:
I built sylpheed (which uses gtk 1.2) and it's fine on all the screens.
Galeon-1.3.9 shows
blank areas on its canvas when started on the secondary displays, as
does the gnome
terminal.

Using gdm and either metacity or sawfish large portions of the
secondary displays are
black. When dragging a window over the black areas it will sometimes
display correctly
and other times fail to draw.

Any clues about this problem or suggestions as to what I could do to
help track it down?

Best Wishes,
Greg

Gregory Wright