esd issue

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Wed Oct 1 22:56:16 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 01:52, Vladimir B. Grebenschikov wrote:
> В чт, 02.10.2003, в 00:56, Joe Marcus Clarke пишет:
>
> > I've never seen this.  esd normally doesn't any ports by default.
> > Instead, it uses local sockets.
>
> I have expected another issue with esd, it sometimes play, sometimes
> not play (for example I've get about 1/3 of ICQ sounds)
>
> mplayer-esound sometimes plays sound, somtimes not, killing esd before
> mplayer is allways helps. Any ideas how to track this ?

You might be able to use gdb to break into esd when it's hung up.
However, it is most likely not an esd bug.  I use esd for juust about
everything I can (since it does mixing), and I have never encountered a
problem.  That said, I also don't have (nor have ever tested) esd with a
NeoMagic sound card.  I have successfully used it with ich, maestro3,
es137x, and Yamaha DS1 driven soundcard.

Sorry I can't be of more help here.  Others may be able to confirm or
deny NeoMagic problems, and a gdb back trace may help the NeoMagic
driver people identify any locking issues.

Joe