Fwd: Re: gdesksets/files/patch-libdesklets::Network.py

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Nov 16 15:36:31 PST 2003

I am trying to follow up all of your different emails, had to write down
in note so I won't miss anything. :-) Anyway, my comments contiune
below........

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:23:09 +0100, Franz Klammer <klammer at webonaut.com>
wrote:

> ok! now i've found why the function __do_sys not working:
>
> __do_sys is calling sysstart() to get the system boottime.
> but this function is removed from libdesklets/Sys.py.
>
> if i remove all relevant lines from __do_sys and from
> sysinfo.display i get now also the Load, Uptime and Idle time.
> Expect of course the boot time.

I read your and Alexander's new emails and I agree with Alexander about
that the SysInfo is the one that who need to update or patch. We shouldn't
add anything unoffical in gdesklets if any old desklets is broke or old.
:-)

> attached a shar-file of gdesklet-sysinfo for review.
>
> some kown problems:
> - to make it run you need to activate libkse in /etc/libmap.conf

Bummer, looks like you will have to add explain in the pkg-message about
that libkse is required otherwise it won't work with libc_r.

> - it doesn't/can't show the starttime and cpu-cache.

Yeah, I have explained in my previous email. cpu-cache will return as " "
in the libdesklets/CPU.py.

> - also it needs my libdesklet-modifications/-fixes to be able to
>   configure it.

I already have updated Network.py patch and add two patches of Sys.py and
Disk.py made by you, Franz. I gotta to do the clean installtion of
gdesklet and do some test first to make sure it runs fine. Then, I will
send the gdesklets.diff to you to see if it will work with your SysInfo if
you are willing to check and test before I send it to PR.

At the moment, I can't run libkse with my Nvidia driver or I will lose
5,000 emails and other stuff in the /usr/local and /usr/X11R6. It happened
to me like five times, it's no matter to me. :-)

I haven't test your SysInfo yet, but so far from what I have read. Here
are feedbacks for your SysInfo port:

	- You need to add 'PKGNAMEPREFIX= gdesklets-'.
	- You need to change from ${CP} to ${INSTALL_DATA}, I know
	  it's nasy but we have to do that. 100% people in freebsd-ports
	  think I should change like that.
	- See above comment about add few more in pkg-message for libkse.

You should check deskutils/gdesklets-starterbar for example. I will update
all other desklets ports to get same what the
deskutils/gdesklets-starterbar has.

Thanks again!

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.