phoenix / firebird port

Trevor Johnson trevor at jpj.net
Fri May 23 06:04:21 PDT 2003

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 11:31, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The attached diff produced a working firebird for me, after a
> > cp -Rp phoenix firebird.
> >
> > I haven't really looked at the generated plist though, so packaging errors
> > could have slipped in. Hope this diff is of some help though.
>
> Thanks!  However, you've slipped in some changes like phoenix@ -->
> firebird at .  The latter doesn't exist yet, and will most likely be
> removed altogether in lieu of gnome at .  I've sent a repo move request,
> and once that's taken care of, I'll work on the update.

Firebird and Phoenix are the same program.  As explained on the program's
home page, the name was changed because of legal problems.  It used to be
customary to consult with the maintainer of the existing FreeBSD port
before creating a new port for a succeeding version of the same program.
It was a good custom, I think--especially in a case such as this where it
sounds as though you are proposing to completely remove the existing port.
--
Trevor Johnson