Unable to build most gnome ports

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon May 19 07:50:53 PDT 2003

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> Date: 18 May 2003 21:47:27 -0400
>

> --=-Alg6/W4IkLM+J1Tw4C4y
>
> On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 21:39, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 19:18, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > After having gnumeric2 produce many Gtk errors, I decided to rebuild all
> > > of the dependencies of Gnumeric. This failed as pkgconfig would not
> > > build. I tried rebuilding gettext, but that didn't help. A large
> > > number of other ports have the same problem and will not build.
> > >
> > > The error occurs before anything is compiled and I can cd to the
> > > pkgconfig-0.15.0 directory and it seems to compile, so I suspect that
> > > this is an issue with the FreeBSD port. Any ideas?
> >
> > Since no one else is complaining about this, and all ports build both on
> > bento as well as my build machine, I can only assume there is an issue
> > with your gettext port/make.conf/environment.  Do a make configure in
> > /usr/ports/devel/gettext.  Then look at work/gettext-0.11.5/config.h.
> > You should see:
> >
> > /* Define if you have the `stpcpy' function. */
> > /* #undef HAVE_STPCPY */
> >
> > This indicates the system does not contain stpcpy, and thus, gettext
> > needs to build its own copy.  If you see HAVE_STPCPY is defined, then
> > you need to look at config.log to see why it's defined.  You should see:
> >
> > configure:9184: checking for stpcpy
> > configure:9221: cc -o conftest -O -pipe -march=3Dpentiumpro
> > -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c  >&5
> > /tmp/ccPEUbzg.o: In function `main':
> > /tmp/ccPEUbzg.o(.text+0x9): undefined reference to `stpcpy'
> > configure:9224: $? =3D 1
> > configure: failed program was:
> >
> > In any event, my libintl.so does not contain any stpcpy symbol.
> > However, my libgettextlib.so does, but it's an internally defined
> > symbol:
> >
> > 00008e24 T stpcpy
>
> I take it back.  -CURRENT does have stpcpy.  Make sure you do not have
> NOLIBC_R defined in /etc/make.conf, and that libc.so is up-to-date.

The only things in my make.conf are NO_LPR, NOPROFILE, NO_SENDMAIL and
the Perl stuff. My libc.so.5 is current as of May 8. Kernels built since
then consistently crash, so I am currently unable to upgrade.

I looked at config.h and it says that I have stpcpy. The config.log file
shows the same:
configure:9184: checking for stpcpy
configure:9221: cc -o conftest -O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c  >&5
configure:9224: $? = 0
configure:9227: test -s conftest
configure:9230: $? = 0
configure:9240: result: yes

I can't imagine where the compile is finding stpcpy if it's not in
libc.so. I'm suspicious that I have some left-over cruft that is causing
this, although I can't imagine what it might be.

Thanks!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)