mod_php4, gettext, and libxml2 build issues

Edward Glowacki glowack2 at msu.edu
Mon May 19 06:55:48 PDT 2003

I think this may be a libxml2 problem, but I'm including the mod_php4
maintainer because that's where the problem first appeared to me and it
does affect building mod_php4 (at least temporarily).  I'm running
FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE with a ports tree updated this morning.

I was trying to compile mod_php4 with gettext support.  The build always
failed when it started looking for the gettext libraries.  This had me
extremely confused, because gettext was already installed and up to
date.  After reinstalling gettext, I eventually checked the config.log
for the mod_php4 build.  Near the end, where it was checking for
gettext, I noticed a lot of undefined references to pthread coming from
libxml2.  So I checked libxml2, rebuilt it without thread support, and
now mod_php4 builds correctly.

I did notice that for libxml2, the message says:

WITHOUT_THREADS=yes     Turns off pthread support

but in the Makefile, it seems to look for WITH_THREADS:

.if defined(WITH_THREADS)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-threads
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --without-threads
.endif

So the message and the actual default seem to be mismatched, and the
default didn't seem to work correctly.  Perhaps pthreads needs to be
added as a dependency, or the default changed to WITHOUT_THREADS.

Anyways, hope this helps.  Everything is working here now, it's just a
bit confusing...

-ED
--
Edward Glowacki