gdm-2.4.1.4 not launching

Jesus Cash jesuscash at cox.net
Fri May 9 11:17:16 PDT 2003

I just joined the list, so I don't know if it's exactly the same.

I just CVSUPed the port tree yesterday, so as far as I know and from
what I can tell from the CVS-All list, I have the current GDM.

I have a fresh install of 5-Release, just did a very basic install.
Added XFree86-4 via ports, then installed Gnome2.  When I try to start
gdm manually or via /etc/ttys, I get the generic X desktop with no
console windows, then it goes right back to the terminal prompt. I've
tried with and without -nodaemon (some one I talked to said this is out
dated now). I'll try to give you whatever diagnostic methods you might
suggest, I've already glanced over these two messages I recieved on the
issue, but I'm a little short on time right now.

Thanks for any help, or at least a good swift kick to the head.

-B