nautilus media view error

Brian Gruber knightbg at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 11:17:04 PDT 2003

Hello,

I'm having a couple of annoying problems, and I hoped
maybe someone could lend me a hand.  this is all under
gnome 2.2 on freebsd 5.0.

Whenever I try to use the nautilus media view, i get
the error "The Media view encountered an error while
starting up."  Switching to the console, I can see
what the problem really is; it's trying to load
gst-player-view from /usr/local/libexec when it is
actually in /usr/X11R6/libexec.  This is not where the
problem stops however, because nautilus insists on
using the media view for things that it just
shouldn't, i.e. trash:///.  Try as I might, I can't
seem to figure out what port is responsible for the
file gst-player-view.  I've tried reinstalling a
number of things including nautilus-media, but to no
avail.

the other problem i'm having, and it's more just an
annoyance, is with the menu panel.  no matter how many
times i delete it, everytime i start gnome it just
reappears.  has anyone else seen this?  i couldn't
find anything relevant in gnome bugzilla, but i may
not be searching for the right thing.

thanks for your help,
brian