GDM2 no longer works with -current

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at com.bat.ru
Wed May 7 13:32:59 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 10:27:22PM -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> It seems that gdm2 no longer works with my -current system.  I just
> updated gdm2 and I just rebuilt -current.
>
> FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #2: Tue May  6 00:10:49 CDT 2003     root at gforce.johnson.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GFORCE
>
> I turned on debugging output in gdm.conf but I do not see anything that
> jumps out.  The following is a little suspicious:
>
> gdm_server_start: Temporary server failure (:0)
>
> The X server does work.  The gdm-binary process gets started, the ugly
> black and white hash screen pops up for a few seconds and then goes back
> to the console.  The gdm-binary process stays around and I have to kill
> it with kill -9.
>
> Could this be a problem with pam?  I believe I saw some changes to the
> gdm file in /etc/pam.d.

Unfortunatelly, I can only confirm that it failes for me as well :(

FreeBSD timur.home.bat.ru 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Mon May  5 19:49:0
5 CEST 2003     root at timur.home.bat.ru:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/SMP  i386

PORTNAME=       gdm2
PORTVERSION=    2.4.1.4

With the previous version(2.4.1.3, I belive), I got gdm login prompt, but
wasn't able to enter any character... But I suspect, that was caused by
default 'Standart' section with the X server call like:

 /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt9

when I have 10 virtual consoles. I'll check this as soon as I'll revert to
the previous version.

For the current version I have exactly the same probles, as Glenn described :(

Regards,
	Timur.