ports/50482: gnome-session will not start on 4.8-RC, X 4.3,

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Mar 31 08:59:05 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 11:49, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > Actually, if gnome-session fails, so should all GTK+-2 apps.  Can you
> > xhost back any app?  Since you're getting the pango "Can't find fonts"
> > error, either the fonts-cache-1 files are empty or you can't read them.
> > Does GNOME work for root, BTW?
>
> My test setup is the following in /root/.xinitrc:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> truss gnome-session >/tmp/truss-sess 2>&1
>
> If I remove /root/.xinitrc, startx produces the expected result of the
> default three xterms with clock and whatever.  I still cannot start any
> gnome apps since none of the gnome infrastructure is running.

Have you made any modifications to /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/fonts.conf?
What font ports/packages do you have installed?  It looks to me like you
have the stock XFree86 fonts, plus urwfonts, plus some unnamed TrueType
fonts.  Have you tried moving the TrueType directory out of the way, and
see if that corrects things?  The debug should definitely shed some
light on things, too.

> You have seen the truss output.  Clearly, fontconfig is reading
> substantial font-cache files, as you can tell from the truss output.  If
> you haven't perused the truss output, maybe you should do so.  Notice
> the multiple reads of 16384 bytes at a time from various font cache
> files.  Clearly there are a number of non-empty font cache files.
>
> Also, *something* is preventing gdm2 from running on my systems.  X
> starts normally, but gdm dies.  I cannot tell where it dies.  I have no
> idea which of the multiple gdm forks is dying.  I do not know which fork
> to try to debug.  I do not know how to get gdm to print out any sort of
> meaningful error messages anywhere.  Setting the debug flag in gdm.conf
> produces completely useless syslog output.

Some users have reported that uninstalling gdm2, doing an rm -r
/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm, then reinstalling gdm2 fixes this.

Joe