ports/50482: gnome-session will not start on 4.8-RC, X 4.3,

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Mar 31 08:06:35 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 11:00, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/50482; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Joe Kelsey <joek at mail.flyingcroc.net>
> To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, joe at zircon.seattle.wa.us
> Subject: Re: ports/50482: gnome-session will not start on 4.8-RC, X 4.3,
> Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 07:52:56 -0800
>
>  I can send truss output.
>
>  There is absolutely no problem with fontconfig.  I re-install it and
>  pango and everything else I can think of.  I run fc-cache -f -v multiple
>  times.  I manually verify the font-cache-1 files.
>
>  The truss output clearly shows *something* opening and reading every
>  single one of the font-cache files, so your blithe remarks about *it
>  works for me" are completely useless and do nothing to solve the very
>  real problems that I experience day in and day out.

And your blithe "it doesn't work" bug reports are helping?

>  You have done nothing to help solve the multiple fontconfig problems
>  appearing in the field.  fc-cache is not the solution.

I'm open to suggestions.  I'm one guy, working for nothing, with a real
job, doing my best to help hundreds of users.  I can't reproduce the
problem locally, so what do you expect me to do?  Wave a magic wand and
conjure up a solution?  I need more information!

Do this, set FC_DEBUG to 1023 in your environment, then run startx.
Send me the output.  You might also try removing ~/.fonts-cache-1, too.

Joe