portilus-0.1 : a very preliminary announcement

anthony taranto voltron at emptyrhetoric.com
Wed Jun 18 10:32:43 PDT 2003

What is portilus? So far, portilus is:
- a pkgdb:// gnome-vfs method
- a nautilus properties tab
- a nautilus view for binary packages

Allow me to explain with screenshots.

In the following 2 pics, nautilus is browsing the pkgdb:// URI:
http://voltron.emptyrhetoric.com/portilus/portilus.pkgdb.icon.png
http://voltron.emptyrhetoric.com/portilus/portilus.pkgdb.list.png

Here is the package view, this is what you see if you open one of the
icons seen above:
http://voltron.emptyrhetoric.com/portilus/portilus.pkgview.png

Finally, if you get properties of a file in Nautilus (right
click->properties or ctrl-i), the Package tab will display information
about the package that installed that file, if any. Here is the info for
my /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-panel:
http://voltron.emptyrhetoric.com/portilus/portilus.properties.png

The tarball is here:
http://voltron.emptyrhetoric.com/portilus/portilus-0.1.tar.gz

Although this is still _very_ early in development (I've only been
working on it for a few days), I'd appreciate it if people try it out
and tell me what they think. The README file has instructions for
installing it in an alternate prefix. Reply if you have any problems.

I'm also very open to suggestions on anytying from the gtk widget
container padding, to major functionality.

thanks

Anthony