Newbie Docs for Former Windows Users?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Jun 5 06:26:58 PDT 2003

Can anyone suggest a guide for a Gnome newbie?  I've looked through the
included help files but would like more.  I come from a Windows background
and am seeking ways to accomplish some of the basic functions like creating
a shortcut (Is it a 'launcher' in Gnome?) on the desktop and adding items to
the Applications toolbar.  Right now the only way I know how to start
programs is via the command line.

Also, where are the images for icons kept by default?  For example, I've
installed Galeon and want to create a 'launcher'.  I assume it would have a
image for an icon?  Where is it or what do I need to install to get it?
Anyway, thanks for your assistance.  I just need a kick in the right
direction.

Thanks,

Drew