Upgrade GNOME 1.4 to 2.2 on FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 19 11:25:48 PDT 2003

Hi,
Just cvsup'd the latest ports tree and found 15 ports "orphaned".  Later
found that GNOME 1.4 was no longer supported and it was recommended that
GNOME 2.2 be installed.  I read the FAQ document and in section # 4, it
indicates that 16 GNOME 1.4 pkgs needed to be removed before attempting
the upgrade.

    * Can I assume that it is not necessary to remove a pkg if it has
      been orphaned?
    * Three of the ports mentioned in the section, libgtop, gedit, and
      eog, are questionable.

        * Libgtop is still shown as "up-to-date with port".  Should I
          still remove libgtop or is there a late change with regard to
          its' existance?
        * gedit and eog simply don't appear at all in the port tree.
          Can I disregard them?

    * Are WITH_FAM and WITH_LAME necessary when upgrading?

Any updates?

Thanks,

Bob