Looking for something to do?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Dec 29 10:27:01 PST 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:21:43 +0100, Sven Esbjerg <esbjerg at xbsd.net> wrote:

> NB! This is not a bug report just a general feeling after some hours
> using
> gnome-2.5.
> Machine is:
> FreeBSD enzo.home.xbsd.net 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #1: Fri Dec 26
> 08:43:18 CET 2003     root at enzo.home.xbsd.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ENZO
> i386
>
> Dual P-III 800MHz. 1GB RAM. 1 UDMA 100 IDE Seagate IV.
> Matrox G550. Plextor SCSI CD-ROM and CD-RW. Creative IDE DVD drive.
>
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 01:30:10AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>> If you like GNOME and like seeing it on FreeBSD, and you're interested
>> in lending a hand, there are a few TODO items you can help out with.
>>
>> set the following in /etc/make.conf to aid with debugging:
>>
>> CFLAGS=	"-O -g pipe"
>> STRIP=
>
> I started from scratch.
>
> Hmmm... weird. Ports like python complains that -g is not understood and
> then
> fails...
> Removed the line and everything installed fine.

Strange, it doesn't happen to in here. I have everything compiled with -g,
but not mplayer, libxine, xvid and sdl.

>> * gstreamer[-plugins]: Make sure your favorite plug-in works.  Try
>> testing out gst-capable apps such as rhythmbox, gst-mixer,
>> nautilus-media, etc.
>
> In rythmbox when I try to use one of the radio stations it reports
> forever and uses a lot of cpu time.
> Screenshot: http://xbsd.net/~esbjerg/gnome25/rythmbox-radio.png
> Radio stations work fine from xmms.
> Rhythmbox seems like a slow monster but is able to play mp3 with/without
> esd
> running.
>
>> * gnome-network: This is a new suite in GNOME 2.5.  It allows you to
>> launch remote RSH and SSH sessions as well as offers a MacOS X
>> netinfo-like app that lets you run ping, traceroute, whois, etc.  While
>> the interface info is not complete yet, all of the various network tests
>> should work.
>
> Devices-Information: Hardware address not showing and Links speed not
> showing.
> Devices-Statistics: not showing
> Most of it works. The ssh thingy which starts a terminal with ssh is
> quite
> slow - I would never use it.
> Also the gnome-terminal is something of a cpu hog compared to xterm. When
> gnome-terminal is showing top it uses 5-7% cpu time. When xterm is doing
> the
> same it uses around 1.2% cpu time.

It's normal and known issue. You should compare from 2.0 to 2.4.x or
2.5.x, you will see the improvement a lot (big time!).

633 mezz      76    0 22668K 11520K select   4:18  0.78%  0.78%
gnome-terminal

The CPU will go higher and higher if you move the mouse on it and keep
move around.

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.