libsml2 & libxslt config files location

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Dec 22 09:39:49 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 09:04, Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:56:48PM +0900, Alexander Nedotsukov wrote:
> > Okay. Probably I missed you point here but I would say in general case
> > you can not update package w/o updating its config file if any.
>

> Most packages continue to work with old config files after upgrade.
>

> > >These two files are the only exception: they cantain hardcoded version
> > >number of
> > >libxml2 and libxslt.
> > >
> > >It would be really nice to move them to some other place.
> > >Since their purpose matches gtk12-config closely, I propose /usr/local/bin
> > >for
> > >them.
> > >

> > We have {xml2,xslt}-config wich plays role similar to gtk12-config.
> > Those {xml2,xslt}Conf.sh files in qustion are *config* files. They
> > supposed to be included by various shell scripts. Yes they have .sh
> > suffix but look at their permissions, look at their content. I can count
> > on number of ports and most notable is portupgrade wich keep such
> > script-like config files under etc/ directory.
>

> If they are really config files, why do they contain version numbers of
> libxml and libxslt?!?  These are constants and can not be configured.
>
> If I upgrade those libraries and leave these files untouched, scripts you
> mentioned will continue to think we have an older version of these libs.
>
> I see no logic here.  What are these script which use {xml2,xslt}Conf.sh,
> provided that the same information can be extracted from {xml2,xslt}-config?

They are used by gnome-config (which expects them in ${LOCALBASE}/etc).
Try it out:

gnome-config xml --cflags
gnome-config xml2 --cflags
etc.

Now, if you don't have gnome-config (part of gnomelibs), you should be
using pkg-config to obtain install info on packages such as libxml.  For
example:

pkg-config xml --cflags
pkg-config xml2 --cflags
etc.

In short, we cannot move the .sh files out of ${LOCALBASE}/etc as that
will break gnome-config, and a host of other applications.