Gnome Terminal and SLRN

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri Aug 22 16:47:39 PDT 2003

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Nicholas Wieland wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I don't know if this is the right mailing list to post that, I've
> asked this question a few days ago on 'questions' but nobody answered,
> so I'm trying here, because IMVHO it's gnome-terminal related.
> I use SLRN on a Gnome Terminal, so I've created a launcher on my panel.
> I can't make it work ... It opens a terminal for a second and then it
> disappears ...
> Mutt works like a charm, and SLRN too, if I open a terminal and launch
a> SLRN, but with a launcher on tha panel it dies.

> This is my desktop entry:
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Type=Application
> Exec=slrn
> TryExec=
> Icon=/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/pixmaps/gnome-news.png
> X-GNOME-DocPath=
> Terminal=true
> URL=slrn
> Name[it_IT]=Slrn
> GenericName[it_IT]=S-Lang Read News
> Comment[it_IT]=News Reader
>
> If someone has suggestions I can file a bug, but I'm not sure if I have
> to file it against slrn or gnome, and in the case of gnome for what part
> of gnome ...

This sounds like a slrn bug, but I don't know for sure.  I don't use slrn.
It would be helpful if we could see the message in the terminal before it
dies.  You might try creating a launcher that doesn't set Terminal=true,
but instead Exec's:

gnome-terminal -t SLRN -x slrn

Joe