ports/55409: evolution-1.4.{3,4} display incorrect timestamps

Mike Patterson mpatters at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 18 11:10:17 PDT 2003

The following reply was made to PR ports/55409; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mike Patterson <mpatters at cs.uwaterloo.ca>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org, markhannon at optusnet.com.au
Subject: Re: ports/55409: evolution-1.4.{3,4} display incorrect timestamps
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:07:00 +0000

 I saw this come up in the gnome discussion list, and I have a screenshot
 to show off: http://comrie.uwaterloo.ca/evo-dateshot.png  (names & email
 addresses elided to protect the guilty)

 Notes:
 1) the machine I run evolution on is in EDT (GMT-0400)
 2) its hardware clock is set to GMT
 3) its timezone is set to Eastern
 4) the machine that particular mail was sent from is also in the Eastern
 time zone (it sits about 50 feet from me, as a matter of fact)
 5) the email was actually sent at 05:25 wall clock time.

 I'm not familiar with the actual names of the panes, but you can see
 that in the mail picker, it displays GMT, whilst in the headers of the
 message in the message preview pane, it displays the full date and time
 with the offset.

 If I reply to a message, it claims they wrote it at whatever time they
 actually did, except it shows; ie, a reply to that message starts off
 with: "On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 09:25, Super-User wrote:" which is,
 strictly speaking, correct, but misleading.  ;)

 Anyway, hope this helps.

 For what it's worth, I find that sometimes exiting and restarting evo
 seems to help.  I don't know if this is a FreeBSD-port-bug, or an evo
 bug that should be filed with Ximian.

 Mike

 --
 Nothing cures insomnia like the realization that it's time to get up.