I'm out of here...

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Tue Aug 12 10:43:53 PDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:02:00 +0200, Martin Klaffenboeck
<martin.klaffenboeck at gmx.at> wrote:

> Am 2003.08.12 10:58 schrieb(en) Franz Klammer:
>> Am Di, 2003-08-12 um 00.20 schrieb Jeremy Messenger:

>> and I

>> desktop
>> to quit
>> by to
>> using
>> it will
>> come
>> others
>> >
>> > May I ask you what it makes you switch over to Linux? I am just
>> curious..
>> > :-)
>> >

>> Bye Martin! Thanks for the nice words. :-)
>> But i'm also interested why you are doing a so extreme
>> switch-over to Linux only.
>
> Yes, I think there is no real rational reason, and I cannot say, I have
> made this decision because of advantages or disadvantages from the one or
> other OS.
>
> The main thing could be, that I also want to play on my computer some
> computer games.  I couln't get the nvidia-driver working on FreeBSD,
> without any crashes.  There are more games available on linux I found
> out, and porting new games to FreeBSD was a thing I found really hard,
> because this sources are often not very portable.  Now I don't have to
> port things.

Yeah, I still have the problem with the Nvidia driver in 5.1-CURRENT too..
Before, in 4.x, 5.0-RELEASE and old 5.0-CURRENT, the Nvidia driver (both
old and new driver) used to work and now not work anymore in the 5.1-
CURRENT. I had to do the strange method (incorrect and non-standard) by
compile it with Nvidia AGP GART driver and force X to load the FreeBSD AGP
GART driver to make it doesn't crash anymore. It hurts the 50% of
perforamce, but as long it's faster than 'nv' and has the more support for
xv and etc.

> On FreeBSD I couln't get rid of the linux emulation, (because only the
> linuxflashplayer for galeon worked, and it needed a wrapper there). You
> may say:  Who cares about that! But it's just that I don't liked it.

Me too, I can't get rid of Linux emulation because of Opera and few others
(no game stuff).. It's much more stable than native one, but Opera recently
released a new 7.20 beta for FreeBSD and I haven't tried it yet.

> Then I started to test gentoo linux, a few weeks ago.  The first thing I
> saw was:  The computer starts faster.  My computer is a workstation, so
> this is good.  And the computer runs faster.  Ok, this is wrong.  But the
> user can have the feeling that the computer runs faster (especial while
> using the gnome frontend, I didn't test kde so far), and people told me,
> this is because the linux scheduler is cheating.  It runs the current
> visible things first, so it looks like it is faster, but it isn't really.
>
> What I miss is, that gentoo doesn't support the gnome 2.3 deveoper branch
> (see the marcuscom portstree), so I'm working in 2.2 here.  But I found
> out, that this is not really a big problem for me right now.

But, there has Gnome 2.3 development if you visit to www.breakmygentoo.net
.. One of my friend is in Gnome 2.3 ebuild team and no I don't use Linux,
but I visit to Gentoo forum. ;-)

> I could talk on and on, why I decided for gentoo, but I think most of
> this things weren't in my mind when I was switching.  What I think about
> my self I could explain in german with the word 'Tapetenwechsel'. (For
> people who don't speak german, my dictionary translates this as 'change
> of scene').
>
> What do you think, when you hear my telling you this?

I think, you have gave us the good reasons and points. Thanks and good luck
in the Linux world!

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.