GEOM_PART: Integrity check failed (ada2, MBR)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri May 16 05:03:27 UTC 2014

I am getting the failure message shown in the Subject: line.  I have
no idea what is causing it or, more importantly, how to cure whatever
the actual problem is.

I would appreciate some help.

The situation is as follows...

I have two primary "desktop" systems.  Each one contains one of these
sATA hot-swap rack things:

  http://kingwin.com/products/cate/mobile/racks/images/sata/kf_252_bk/enlarge/KF_252_BK_enlarge4.jpg

These have proven to be entirely reliable.

I also have a relatively new 2.5" 1TB drive.  I did the following with
this drive:

1)  I placed the 1tb drive into my #2 system and then booted that system
using a recent vintage (0.18.2) version of the "Gparted Live" CD.

2)  I used Gparted to create and initialize a GPT partition table on the
drive.

3)  I used Gparted to create and initialize a single partition (containing
all free space on the drive) and had it (Gparted) create an ext3 filesystem
on that partition.

4)  I then performed a clean shutdown of Gparted.

5)  I then removed the new 1tb drive in question from my #2 desktop system
and moved it into the hot-swap rack of my main (FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE) system
(which already contains two other drives, i.e. ada0 and ada1).

6)  I used the power switch on the rack to power on the drive.

The result of the above operations is as follows:

May 15 21:53:33 segfault kernel: ada2 at ata5 bus 0 scbus5 target 0 lun 0
May 15 21:53:33 segfault kernel: ada2: <Hitachi HTS541010A9E680 JA0OA480> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
May 15 21:53:33 segfault kernel: ada2: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA5, PIO 8192bytes)
May 15 21:53:33 segfault kernel: ada2: 31MB (65134 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 64C)
May 15 21:53:33 segfault kernel: ada2: Previously was known as ad10
May 15 21:53:33 segfault kernel: GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (ada2, MBR)

Please take note:  At this point in time I *do* have a entry in my /dev
directory named "ada2" however I *do not* have an entry there named "ada2p1"
(or one named "ada2s1").

Please note also that I have re-tried all of the above steps, but in step #2
I instead had Gparted create a an MBR partition scheme on the drive, rather
than GPT.  This change however appears to make no different at all to the
final outcome.  (I still get the "Integrity check failed" either way.)

Is there a known incompatability between Gparted and FreeBSD with respect
to MBR and/or GPT partition tables?  Was there any such in 9.1-RELEASE?

Please let me know what other information I can or should provide in order
to overcome this problem.

Thank you.